And another one...

No sooner do I post the blurbs than another one comes in. This from no less than John Maddox Roberts:

"Periclean Athens has been a long-neglected venue for historical mysteries, but Gary Corby comes through in rare style with a murder mystery tied in with the customs and the complex politics of Athens as it was approaching the peak of its glory. A good read that not only entertains but leaves the reader knowing a lot more about Classical Athens."


I have to say it's a weird feeling to receive blurbs from people whose books I've read and loved for years. Kelli of course is a recent rising star. Steven Saylor, Paul Doherty and John Roberts are all founding fathers of the ancient mystery genre.

You may have noticed tabs appear along the top of the blog, by the way. With the Grand Opening so close, I've begun to add the things that book blogs are supposed to have, such as a book page and a bio. An events page will appear real soon now.

What does an author do while waiting for his debut to release? I'm desperately trying to get the third book into shape so my early test readers can check it while I'm book touring for the first. (The second is in perfect condition and in the capable hands of Editor Kathleen.) I'm at 93,000 words on the third and almost halfway through 2nd draft. It'll need another revision before it's fit for human consumption, so there's plenty to keep me busy.


14 comments:

Jenna Wallace said...

"Rare style"! You must have a Joker-like grin permanently etched into your face by now (I would). Congrats!

Gary Corby said...

Hi Jenna. Yes indeed!

Gary Corby said...

I should add...

Who would have thought when I began typing this story, almost 6 years ago, that it would get this far?

I've discovered there's a continuous spectrum of writers, from those only beginning their first words through to those with many books on the shelves and, although there are a few quantum leaps to be made along the way--finding an agent, finding a publisher, having books appear--writers are essentially one big group.

Leonie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tana said...

Congrats to you on your wonderful blurb and completing your third book! Great things are coming your way.

Gary Corby said...

Thanks Leonie!

Gary Corby said...

Hi Anne. Thank! The third isn't quite there yet, but it's under control.

Trisha Leigh said...

Just popped over and read all these wonderful, glowing recommendations. People must be starting to think you're strange, the way you're grinning all the time. I'm so pleased for you!

L. T. Host said...

Just went to read the new tabs... I have a mechanical question-- is the jacket flap based off your query at all? Purely scientific curiosity on my part.

And yay for blurbs!

Gary Corby said...

Trisha, they already know I'm strange. I'm a writer.

Yes, I've been having a run of good news lately. I'm sure it won't last!

Gary Corby said...

Hi Lessa,

The jacket copy...oh dear Gods, the jacket copy...good question. Let me answer that in another post...

Gary Corby said...

Thanks Meghan! Hope you're enjoying Seattle.

Jude said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Soon they'll be asking for blurbs from you.

Gary Corby said...

Thanks Jude! There mere idea is bizarre, but Bill said the same thing, so I guess you must both be right. This whole experience has been amazing.