Gary's in the US in October

I'll be attending Bouchercon this year for the first time. Bouchercon is a huge convention of mystery writers held every year.

This is going to be a weird experience for me because, as far as I can recall, I have only ever been in the same room as a real writer five times. Last year I had lunch with Anneke Klein and Bill Kirton while in London. On the same trip I had dinner with agent-sibling Andrew Grant. The only other two writers I recall meeting in real life, decades ago, are Fred Hoyle(!) and Larry Niven.

Bouchercon is going to increase my same-room-as-a-writer count by approximately 8,000%.

I'll be in Indianapolis for the conference 15-18 October. The week after I'm visiting NY, where for the first time I'll meet the wonderful people at FinePrint Literary Agency and Editor Kathleen from St Martin's! On the way home I'll stop in LA for a couple of days, where I'm planning to visit the Getty Villa of Roman and Greek antiquities, if I can ever get their broken online ticketing system to work.

If you're going to be in Indy, NY or LA at the same time and would care for a coffee/beer, do please let me know. I'd love to meet.

Next year there's going to be an extensive book tour going for weeks around the US to lots of places.

14 comments:

Carrie Clevenger said...

Oh wow. I am FROM Indiana. Hee. My family is in Indiana. >.< d'oh!

Gary Corby said...

Hi Carrie. Ah well, there's no way I'm missing Houston next year.

Carrie Clevenger said...

If I had it, I'd make an impromptu visit to see family in IN. As it stands, I'll be looking forward to introducing you to Texas barbecue and Mexican food next year. ;)

Gary Corby said...

Perfect!

Tabitha Bird said...

Sounds unreal fun Gary. All except for the gazillion hours of flying time... though maybe flying to the US has lost some of its shine for me because I last did the trip with a twelve month old ON MY OWN... I'm still in recovery. He's six now :)
Have a great trip and tell us all about it:)

Gary Corby said...

SYD to LAX with a 1 year old on your own? You're superhuman.

I've lost count of the number of times I've done this trip. I think it's somewhere between 13 and 17. Both ends are really nice; it's the bit in between which hurts. Of course once I land I still have to fly to Indy via Chicago.

scaryazeri said...

My close friends live in Indiana, but that's a bit of useless info,unless you get lost somewhere in Midwest and need urgent help.

Well if you ever return to London, do give me a shout, I myself would love to meet a real writer! :))

Gary Corby said...

Hi Scary. There are a few writer types in your part of the world I'd like to meet. I'm certain I'll be back in London some time, I just don't know when.

Mimzy said...

IN is a bit too far for me to go. I think it's a ten hour drive from the UP on down. *shakes fist at Lake Michigan* Curse you, you wonderful waterbody for getting in the way once again!

So I'll just harass you terribly when you go on your grand tour next year! Be prepared to eat a pasty and to tell me everything you know (and then some) about Greek subject yet-to-be-determined.

Unknown said...

I hope you have a great trip, Gary.

Gary Corby said...

Hi Mimzy, yes I'd already looked at a map and figured there was no chance. There's always next year, like you say. I'll be trying hard to make it to Ann Arbor on the book tour.

Gary Corby said...

Thanks Chad. It's going to be fun.

CKHB said...

Let me know if you ever make it to the Boston area!

Gary Corby said...

Shall do, Carrie. Next year, I hope.