Narcissism (n). An author reading reviews of his own book.

There's something incredibly narcissistic about reading reviews of my own book, particularly when the reviewer talks about my abilities as an author.  Which won't stop me from doing it; I merely point out one of my numerous personality defects.

On the plus side, there's nothing like writing a book for discovering like-minded people.  The whole process is worth it just for that alone.

So here forthwith is a review of The Pericles Commission at Marilyn's Mystery Reads.


5 comments:

Brandi Guthrie said...

I would probably do the same thing. Lol. It's a great review!

Vicky Alvear Shecter said...

It's a well deserved, wonderful review. But I know what you mean. It's our "job" to maintain interest in our books (wish that weren't so, but can't do anything about it). I am trying to figure out how to walk that line between sharing info about a new book and becoming an annoying, shilling-gad-fly about it. You seem to have struck a great balance!

Gary Corby said...

Thanks Brandi!

Hi Vicky. Yes, marketing is about the only part of being an author that I uniformly loathe. Talking to fun people on the other hand is...er...fun. So I've decided my only chance is to ignore all marketing advice (sort of), just be myself, and chat about whatever I find interesting. If I do that enough it causes the marketroids to think I must be marketing.

Gary Corby said...

And I must say, Vicky, the way you write those fascinating articles is just terrific. I don't think you need fear crossing any lines.

Vicky Alvear Shecter said...

Thanks, Gary. That's very kind!